“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”Albert Einstein, theoretical physicist, Pisces, b. 14 March 1879 – d. 18 April 1955
The Sun moves through the astrological sign of Pisces from ~February 19 to ~March 20, and in the Northern Hemisphere, this sign marks the last chilly, watery days of winter, when the weather is usually quite bleak, damp and miserable. Nature in the grip of profound changes, and She is busy with activity, but much of it is unseen, occurring deep below the surface. Pisces is Mutable Water, and it is this energy of changeable, pervasive, encompassing moisture which is the stuff of life, primal and foundational. Pisces rules everything from clouds to the depths of the churning oceans, to the enveloping fogs and the serene ponds. The fact that our bodies are composed of 80% water speaks of our dependency on this element, perhaps best manifested in the swirling subconscious mind, and that level of reality which exists just beyond the realm of perception, but which we rely upon for our very lives, in our continual assumption of its presence. We could not exist without water, and while Pisces is typically considered as a rather humble, meek sign, there is tremendous strength within those hidden depths, a pervasive holding pattern that can simply never be avoided.
Traditionally ruled by Jupiter, and in modern astrology ruled by Neptune, Pisces is a sign of paradox, for it encompasses both the absolute heights of inspiration and mystical realization, as well as the lowest depths of fantasy, delusion and debauchery. Thus its symbol is two fishes swimming in opposite directions, itself a reflection of the Taoist Yin/Yang icon so familiar to us all, a marriage of opposites, forever entwined and eternally inseparable. Pisces embraces life in its entirety, feeling, sensing and understanding on a profound level the many divergent paths and vicissitudes which encompass the journey of the soul. Sounds deep? Well it is, but then again, so is a drunk in his cups late upon a Friday night, two sheets to the wind and lost to all reason. Pisces is a matter of both the sacred and the profane, the good and the bad, and Pisces gathers, loves and understands it all. As Mutable Water, Pisces has the ability to adapt and flow with whatever circumstances it encounters, malleable and fluid, ever adjusting, reacting, responding with ever finer tuning of perception and reaction.
Pisces people often say things like “I knew you were going to call”, “I had a feeling that would happen”, “I was thinking about him, and then it was amazing, I ran into him at the grocery store.” Many people just shrug and roll their eyes, often quite accustomed to these “weird” mutterings from their Pisces friends. Pisces people don’t look at the world the way the rest of us do, especially not the Earth signs. To them, nothing is outside the realm of reason, everything is possible, and it is only through our own will that we limit our abilities to perceive and understand the world the way that they do. The more unusual, the more difficult, the more challenging, the better, for many Pisces, as it is in these outer reaches of human experience that they find themselves thriving, where they realize that they have deep insight and much to offer.
Hand a Pisces person a hammer and nails and ask them to fix that bit of loose carpentry, and they may look at you like you are from another planet. Stop to do something practical? What? Tell them that you think you saw a spirit in your backyard last night, or you have a fantastic business deal lined up and they are all ears. Before I make Pisces seem flaky, which is how they are often perceived, don’t get me wrong. If it were not for these folks, the idealists, dreamers, seekers and those with the pure compassion that Pisces offers the world – even to extraterrestrial visitors who may find themselves in need of an exit strategy – the world would surely be a much colder, duller and more impersonal place. In its mutability, a well-developed Pisces can easily understand everything about you, placing themselves so deeply into your shoes that you will feel that they have known you for your entire life. On the flip side, there is that other fish who often prefers to swim upstream, and sometimes you can catch them off balance, overwhelmed, swimming in waters that are too deep and threatening to submerge them once and for all. It is those Pisces who need some of your empathy, for once, for it can be a very hard thing to be so sensitive in a world that can be as cruel as ours, and escapism is often the only option for those who feel too much, too often.
Sometimes Pisces needs a little containment, when things get too far blown, so don’t be afraid to offer some resolution to their perplexity. They may not appreciate it at the time, preferring to lose themselves in dreamy dissolution, but they will remember and thank you, even if it isn’t right away. If you want to feel like the world is as magical as you wished it were, and walk away feeling nourished and renewed by the gentle waters of a fine soul? Find a good Pisces friend, listen to them as they share their thoughts and dreams with you, and consider yourself lucky, because these people are rare indeed.
The often surreal, sensitive Pisces finds its polarity in Mercury-ruled Virgo, a Mutable Earth sign, and it is from Virgo that Pisces can learn to make sense of the impressions that they receive from the depths and nether-regions of life. Virgo can teach Pisces how to distinguish fact from fiction, how to analyze experiences with a critical eye, and through tapping into the Virgoan capacity for discrimination that Pisces can eventually make true art of life, as Virgo helps make manifest all the little details that can so often get lost in the passages of emotion and inspiration.
- Key words: emotional, empathetic, diverse, sensitive, imaginative, compassionate, kind, inspired, intuitive, insistent, sympathetic, tolerant, caring, escapist, moody, addictive, unrealistic, wishy-washy, secretive, indiscriminate, hedonistic, self-indulgent, delusional, depraved.
- Rulership: traditional – Jupiter; modern – Neptune
- Modality: Mutable Water
- Polarity: Negative feminine
- Gemstone: amethyst, pearl, chrysolite, coral, moonstone, peridot
- Metal: platinum, tin
- Tarot: The Moon
- Colors: crimson, buff, pinkish-brown, stone, sand, deep colors, blue-green, white
- Deities: Anubis, Isis, Poseidon, Vishnu, Neptune, Eros, Typhon
- Flora: coffee, ferns, moss, cucumbers, pumpkins, lettuce, melons, water plants (like water lily, lotus), willow, pussy willow
- Fauna: fish, dolphin, water animals, large animals, chameleons, jellyfish, lizards, poisonous animals, barnacles
- Famous Pisces Personalities: George Washington, Emperor Constantine, Mikhail Gorbachev, Michelangelo, Elizabeth Taylor, Kurt Cobain, Spike Lee, George Harrison, Osama Bin Laden, Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, Rihanna, Tyler the Creator, Trevor Noah, Justin Bieber, Stephen Curry, Antonio Vivaldi, Frederic Chopin, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Ansel Adams, Jessica Biel, Rupert Murdoch, Bryan Cranston, Nina Simone, Harvey Weinstein, Pierre Auguste Renoir, Piet Mondrian, Wilson Pickett, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Alan Greenspan, Hubert de Givenchy, Mitch McConnell, Nat King Cole, Wilhelm Grimm, Nicolas Copernicus, John Steinbeck, Dr. Seuss, Levi Strauss, Bruce Willis, Sidney Poitier, Alan Rickman, Jack Kerouac, Daniel Craig.